Savage Public Areas & Parks

Baldwin Common
Adjacent to Baldwin Hall is a small park reminiscent of an old-fashioned village green, and perfect for a picnic, a game of Frisbee, town festivities, or just relaxing and enjoying a nice day. Centered in the park is a tree which is decorated for the community during the holidays. Baldwin Common welcomes visitors with new lighting, benches, and signage.

Baldwin Common
Adjacent to Baldwin Hall is a small park reminiscent of an old-fashioned village green, and perfect for a picnic, a game of Frisbee, town festivities, or just relaxing and enjoying a nice day. Centered in the park is a tree which is decorated for the community during the holidays. Baldwin Common welcomes visitors with new lighting, benches, and signage.

Bollman Truss Railroad Bridge
In 1835, the Washington Branch of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad was completed, and Savage Station was established on the line about a mile southeast of the present Mill. A spur of the B&O was laid to the Savage factory in 1887 and named the Patuxent Branch. This Bollman Truss Railroad Bridge was relocated here, where the railroad crossed the Little Patuxent River. The bridge, designed by self-taught Baltimore engineer Wendel Bollman, is the sole-surviving example of a revolutionary design in the history of American bridge engineering that played a pivotal role in the expansion of America’s railroads and the modern period of civil engineering.

Beloved by railroad buffs, the famous iron truss bridge was designated the first Historic Civil Engineering Landmark in 1966, received National Historic Landmark status in 2000 and, along with the Mill, is on the National Register of Historic Places. In use as a railroad bridge until 1947, it now serves to connect Historic Savage Mill with the Savage Mill Trail, a walk linking old mill sites along the Little Patuxent River.
More about the Bollman Truss Railroad Bridge

Savage Park
Savage Park has five baseball fields, four lighted tennis courts, two basketball courts, two volleyball courts, two horseshoe pits and a pavilion. There is direct access to the Savage (Turkey Walk) trail and 2.8 miles of interconnecting trails, including links to Patuxent Branch Trail and Lake Elkhorn. There is ample parking and a children's play area with lots of swings, climbing and other activities.
Savage Park website

FOLLOW US:

  • Facebook B&W

© 2016 by Savage Community Association